Blog post by Marica Micallef
The term apartheid literally means ‘separateness’. It was a word coined to describe the discriminatory political and economic system of segregation that the white minority in South Africa imposed on non-whites. What Dr. Fearne and Profs Gauci did not directly tell the public during their last press conference is that they were introducing this concept of “separateness” in Malta between the vaccinated and non-vaccinated. In simple words, they have introduced “medical apartheid”. In truth, as all liberals do, they stated in advance what they intended to do. They hinted that they were going to such a state last spring. They started slowly drumming this concept during summer and, during Christmas time, they made it official!
Among the measures announced, [with my personal comments in the brackets] we find:
- From January 17, only those who are vaccinated can go to bars, restaurants, gyms, pools, cinemas and sporting events. [This means that the non-vaccinated are being ostracised and not allowed into these places]
- From Monday, December 27, all events should be seated except for weddings and funerals. [This is harder for event organisers as finding a space big enough to organise a seated event is quite a feat.]
- From Monday, all establishments must shut down by 1 am. [This means that their income will be less during a time which usually ramps up.]
- Sports events will still be held but no spectators are allowed. [This will kill sports itself because there will be no income from the selling of tickets, and it will be mentally tough on the athletes/players.]
- Schools will reopen after the Christmas holidays. [I remind the public that back in October, Dr Fearne had talked of the possibility of scrapping mandatory mask wearing for students after the Christmas holidays.There was no mention of this, so I presume students and teachers must continue wearing masks]
- Visiting hours at Mater Dei Hospital will be restricted. [This is emotionally and mentally difficult on both patients and their families. What is the issue in having visitors? I presume all the hospital staff is vaccinated, no? So, they are protected anytime and anywhere!]
- Given that most of the care home population has received the booster dose, elderly homes will not be affected by the measures. [Elderly homes never got back to what they were. Non-vaccinated are not allowed to visit their loved ones in elderly homes and the visiting timeframe is very short.]
- A major drive to encourage the country to take the vaccine and booster. From December booster dose registration opens for all over 18. [No, this is not a major drive. This is coercion. This is taking everything slowly away from you until you consent]
I still cannot fathom why the authorities are punishing the non-vaccinated when they themselves admitted that vaccinated people can still transmit the virus. This was also confirmed by CDC in a study that found that “three-quarters of cases occurred in fully vaccinated people. It also found no significant difference in the viral load present in the breakthrough infections occurring in fully vaccinated people and the other cases, suggesting the viral load of vaccinated and unvaccinated persons infected with the coronavirus is similar. Germany also confirmed that higher vaccination coverage leads to higher excess mortality.
So having fully vaccinated Maltese people crammed in gyms, restaurants, pools, bars, etc should not create a spike in cases! I bet that this is not going to be the case. At least, from now on the non-vaccinated people cannot be blamed for the spread of the virus because they won’t be present in crowded places!
Contrary to what the German study confirmed, Times of Malta quoted the latest data from the EU Health Agency which suggested “that the higher the country’s vaccination rate, the lower its death rate”, with the European Commission publishing a chart showing that Malta “continues to have one of the highest uptakes of vaccines in the bloc, and has the lowest death rate”. So, I keep on repeating that these new restrictions were imposed in order to enhance the booster uptake!
Now I sincerely hope that many are waking up to the realisation that it was not just “restrictions until mass vaccination”. Authoritarian restrictions are now normalised, with no end goal. There is nothing that will be different next year or the year after. In the meantime, freedoms and liberties are being eroded, and we will soon be needing a vaccine passport to go to work, or to just do our shopping.
All this is paving the way for the government to infringe upon our privacy, our rights, and our autonomy. This is nothing but political tyranny!