Blog post by Marica Micallef
It was only as early as last March that Pfizer-Biontech announced that “in participants aged 12-15 years old, BNT162b2 demonstrated 100% efficacy and robust antibody responses, exceeding those reported in a trial of vaccinated 16-25-year-old participants in an earlier analysis, and was well tolerated”. Then Pfizer went on to request the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to amend the emergency use authorization and authorise the said Big Pharma Company to administer its Covid-19 vaccine to teenagers aged between 12 and 15 years old. What is serious in this request is that the emergency use authorization had only been granted for people ages 16 and upwards. Then, suddenly there was this U-turn which is for me very serious! Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla was reported stating that he is hoping that this age group will be vaccinated before the start of the next school year.
Our health authorities decided to obey blindly and vaccinate the cohort locally, before the scholastic year starts. In an article by The Independent, Profs Charmaine Gauci is reported stating that “We will be prepared so that when the scholastic year starts in September, this group will be vaccinated”, because, according to her, “the more age groups that are protected the better”. 
Dear Profs Gauci, may you tell me against what would you like to protect this cohort? And while you are at it, can you also answer the following questions please:
- How many children died of Covid-19 in Malta last year?
- What percentage of children have died of Covid-19 in the whole world?
- If there were any such deaths in children, do you have any information as to any underlying health conditions which these children had? What was the true cause of their death?
- Do you have any statistics for the above? If you have, will those statistics make any difference? If it does not make a difference, then isn’t the message given to the public inaccurate and biased?
- Do Pfizer or the Malta Health Authorities take responsibility for any short-term and long-term side-effects that children might incur from this vaccine?
- Since Malta has reached herd immunity now, don’t you agree that the vaccinated should not worry of getting Covid-19 from the children, since the vaccine is offering them protection? Should there be space for concern as whether children are carriers or not?
Why aren’t other solutions and approaches, where NO ONE IS PUT AT RISK, sought? What will the side effects of the vaccine on children? The reader should be reminded that Phase 3 of the clinical trials on these vaccines ends in January 2023.
In the meantime, an article in the Defender reported serious adverse events on a number of adolescents aged, between 12 and 17, who got vaccinated. Health experts in UK are urging caution on vaccinating children. Even Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the head of WHO, has urged countries to reconsider vaccinating children.
The UK parenting expert, Bea Marshall, wrote “By standing up for your children, even it means standing against the whole world, you show them that it is OK to QUESTION AUTHORITY. It is OK to question RULES. It is OK to choose a different path that is BETTER SUITED to THEM. It is OK to RISE UP EVEN IF YOU SEEM ALONE IN DOING SO – THESE WILL ALWAYS BE PEOPLE WHO HAVE YOUR BACK”; whereas Mariam Wright Edelman, who is an American activist of children’s rights, had said that “If we don’t stand up for children, then we don’t stand for much”.
Hence, I am appealing again to all parents to be the voice for their voiceless children!